Tuesday, April 01, 2008

The Disappointment Grows!

So after getting our permit status in the mail, I figured we would at least be able to get a permit for the middle of the week. The availability calendar was posted yesterday and absolutely nothing is available for overnight hiking from mid June to the end of Sept! We could go in early June but I'm to scared of that. June can mean cold temps at night and still lots of snow pack up top.

I am so incredibly disappointed. I was so looking forward to doing this hike this summer. It was something I really wanted to accomplish before having kids. There are plenty of weekday Day Hike permits available, even some on July 4th! But I don't know anyone that would be willing to do 21 miles and an elevation change of ~6000 feet as a day hike with me. I just feel so awfully disappointed right now. This was something I was reallllyyyyy looking forward to.

I guess we could change our focus completely and go hike the grand canyon or something this summer. That would be cool. But the highest point in the lower 48 is so awesome. All I know is I will do it. Maybe not this summer, but I will at some point. Even if we have to have our parents come out and watch a kid one summer. I'm soooo determined to get up there.

No comments: