Friday, May 02, 2008

Mt Whitney Update

Still no permit! Ergghh..the minute we both called we got busy signals. Which apparently means there are at least 50 people ahead of you. I was thinking I should have called at like 7:55 and just let it ring for 5 minutes until they turned the phones on or something. I'll probably try again next week for August. There are plenty of weekday day hike permits, but I don't know anyone willing to do 22 miles in one day with me! So disappointing, as this is the one thing I really want to do before we think about having kids since I know this kind of stuff will become much harder to accomplish.

But I also faxed in a permit request for the Grand Canyon for September. If we don't get that, then I guess we'll jut be backpacking in Yosemite or something. Any way we do it, we will be backpacking this year. I'm determined! And I think we are going to call the Mt Whitney people every Thursday afternoon starting in July and see if there are any cancellations. It's close enough that we can just drive up there at the drop of a hat. So that's the plan.

No comments: