Sunday, February 25, 2007

Sequoia Winter Wonderland

This weekend Dave and I enjoyed a wonderful weekend at Sequoia National Park. We stayed at the lodge, as we’re not into the snow camping thing! It was a little weird to be there and not be camping, as this is our third trip to sequoia but our first to not be camping. We arrived at the park around 8pm fri night, so it was already dark and we could barely see what we would be in for the next day. I decided to get up early sat morning and go take some photos since the ski shop wasn’t going to open until 9am. Wow! What a beautiful sight I was in for. I stepped outside to the cold mountain air, a clear blue sky, and amazing pristine snow conditions ( about 4 feet of fresh snow). I shot photos for about a half hour then headed inside to wake Dave up. We ate breakfast and headed out to rent our snow shoes. We hiked through the Big Trees trail and part of Topokah Falls trail. On the Topakah falls trail I was able to take some photos of the Watchtower (we hiked through there last Labor Day weekend). It was neat to be down below in the valley and see exactly where we hiked about 6 months prior to this trip. Snowshoeing was harder than hiking, especially if you had to make your own tracks. But it was a lot of fun just being out in the snow. Sunday we woke up to a snow storm! We were not expecting this as the snow wasn’t predicted until Monday. Our car was covered in 4-6 inches of snow and it continued to come down all day. I am so glad we bought a Subaru, as our car handled like a champ. We just drove past everyone else while they were putting on there chains. On Sunday we snow shoed on Congress Trail for a little bit and then headed home. Seeing Sequoia covered in snow was an amazing trip and I’m sure we’ll be back! I can’t wait until our Yosemite trip in two weeks!

Trees in the snow with the sun peeking through


A trunk of a redwood surronded by snow covered trees




Me in my snowhoes (check out how high the snow bank is)



I've started posting photos...the rest should be up later this week.



On our way home, there was this awesome rainbow over the valley. We could see the entire thing. So we stopped the car so I could get a few photos with the wide angle lens (thank goodness I own a super wide angle!)

No comments: