Saturday, November 03, 2007

Running as a 30 year old

So today was my first official race as a 30 year old. I've always heard the competition if much more fierce once you hit 30. For the last few years, I've pretty much showed up at all my races (except for the huge ones) expecting that I would win an award, and most of the time I knew I would place 1st. This year I ran in the palmdale run that I do every year. I did the 5K and the age group was 30-39! Since I haven't been training to hard, I wasn't sure what to expect out of myself. This is the same race that I did my personal best in last year (23:12), but I knew I wouldn't be able to beat that. I ran the first mile in 7:48, and ended up with a final time of 24:17. This was good, but not great for me. I was happy it was still under the 8 min/mile pace, and Dave said there weren't to may girls ahead for me. I ended up 31st overall and 2nd in my age group. So I still placed, even though there is more competition. There is another race in December, so we'll see if I can improve in the next month. I love that my husband supports me so much in my running. He comes to my races, sits around, waits for me, when he sees in the homestretch he starts running next to me and yelling at me to go faster. It's just to cute. You should see how excited he gets when he knows I am doing really well. Thanks Dave for being so incredibly supportive.

No comments: