Thursday, September 07, 2006

Hopping on the Blog Bandwagon/Labor Day Weekend

So I figured I’ll go ahead and jump on this blogging band wagon. (Although the term “Blog” really bothers me for some reason.). You know those words that just grate on you…this is one of them for me. Ah, oh well.

So I figure this will be easier to keep people posted on the happenings of the Schanker’s rather than updating my SmugMug site every week. Instead you can just check this as we are constantly busy and traveling around the CA area.

Last weekend was truly amazing. Dave and I camped at Sequoia National Park at the Lodgepole campground. I really like Sequoia because it’s not as crowded as Yosemite, you still have the wonderful Sierra’s, and you get the really big Sequoia Trees! Since we were here last year we decided to skip all the touristy things and hit the trails. On Saturday we did a small hike to the top of Little Baldy. It was a nice clear blue sky day. So we could see well into the Sierras and the rocky peaks. We then returned to camp and cooked a wonderful dinner on the grill, made our campfire, and had brownies and wine for desert. We bought this bottle of CA wine on the way up and it was so good!!!! So Saturday morning we woke up, cooked a hearty breakfast of pancakes and turkey sausage, and headed out to the Lakes Trailhead. Wow, this trail was amazing and better than I ever expected. The views of the Sierras were almost constant. We reached this part called the Watchtower. It’s a bunch of rocks sticking out over Topakah Valley. I felt like I was on top of the world.




Then we continued on to the first alpine lake. What an amazing place. This lake was nestled in the mountains with views all around. It was so calm and peaceful. We were now about 9200 feet in elevation and close to the tree line. At Heather Lake we ate lunch, relaxed, and took photos. Then we continued on to the next set of lakes. These were just as nice as Heather Lake. Emerald Lake was almost a bit hidden and we almost missed it. But wow when we found the lake, it was a gorgeous site to see! Now we were only about 1000 feet from the top of one of the peaks. It looked so easy to get to too and I so wanted to climb to the top, but I didn’t want to leave Dave. After relaxing here we decided to head back down. At the very end of the trail I had a bit of an accident. The runner in me decided it would be a good idea to jog the rest of the way. Then I hit a rock and did a faceplant. Ah, whatever the trip up to the top was so worth it. The Sierras have to be my favorite place to visit in all of California. Upon returning to the campsite, Dave and I grabbed a beer from the cooler and headed to the river to stick our feet in the ice cold water. This was one of my favorite moments of the entire weekend. Check out our photos at http://www.schanker.smugmug.com/gallery/1814082.

No comments: