Monday, August 18, 2008

Why Me?

So I'm sitting here eating my breakfast at 9:30 am trying to wake up so I can go into work. We got home at 2:30 am last night. I'll give you one good reason why....more flight issues! Seriously why do I have so many problems when I fly. I have been through countless delays, stuck in two foreign countries, had several cancellations, lost bags on xmas eve. It seems like I can not fly without some sort of issue. Its funny because Dave says he never had issues flying until he met me. It must be my luck!

So here's what happened. On the way out Thursday night we were delayed due to thunderstorms on the east coast. Ok not horrible, just means I can't get to sleep until later. I'm okay with that. Weather doesn't bother me to much, because that is out of everyones control. Then we get on the plane, plane leaves the gate, and drives around the tarmac for a while. Then the pilot tells us that we need to go back to the gate due to a mechanical issue. Thankfully they got it resolved and we didn't have to switch planes. So we did actually make it to DC on Friday morning, just tad bit late (hours late).

Then there was yesterday. So we arrive at Dulles, look at the board and see our flight says delayed but no estimate on time! That of course says to us that bad things are about to happen. Once we get through security the board changed to cancelled...again due to a mechanical issue. Actually they said it was mechanically challenged! So this is a 777, therefore the line to rebook your flight is huge. I told Dave we'd probably be better off calling the 800 number. So we get rebooked but into a different airport. There were no flights to LAX until the next day. The United reps told us they would provide transportation to LAX to get our car. So we agree to fly to Ontario because we really needed to get into the LA area that night. We take a flight to Denver and then on to Ontario. So at about midnight we finally arrive in Ontario. We are then informed that there is no one there to authorize transportation for us to LAX. So Dave spends 15 minutes on the phone with customer service while I talk to some lady at Baggage services. She has the nerve to tell me that they won't do ground transport because we VOLUNTARILY changed our flight. What are you talking about! Come one...like we wanted to end up in Ontario. That pushed me over the edge. I was calm until them. Two United reps before this told us all we would have to do is talk to United agent at Ontario they would look up the flights and see what happened and give us ground transport. Well, this lady was not willing to help us what so ever. They totally gave us the run around. The airport people said the 1-800 people had to approve the transport and the phone people said she had to approve it. Ridiculous! The supervisor on the phone finally tells us if we rent a car they will send us each united vouchers for $150. So we rent a car...which cost us $70 because all they had was an eclipse. Drive 45 minutes to LAX, pick up our car, drop off the rental and drive over an hour home. So that's how we got home at 2:30.

Now the funny part (ok, so not so funny part) Dave had a 6am United flight this morning out of Palmdale to San Fran. That was why we had to get back on Sunday night. I joking told him they were going to have a mechanical problem as well! So he got 2 hours of sleep. The United agent at Dulles was going to rebook him into San Fran. but he didn't have any clothes for the week. So he decided to stick with me and come home.

Ahh... well at lest we're home, right!

No comments: