Sunday, June 28, 2009

New Army Pass

Was still snowed in as of June 27th! Dave and I had planned to hike to the top of New Army Pass. But after hearing reports of the last switchback being snowed in, Dave decided to stay at High Lake while I continued up. As I got almost to the top, I realized I just wasn't getting passed that snow. Everyone was climbing up rocks to get to the top. Now some people had to get over...since they were backpacking...but I was just out for a nice day hike, so I decided I didn't need to be that adventurous and turned around. The total hike for the day (according to my GPS) was 14.66 miles. Not bad. We will be backpacking in 2 weeks. I so can't wait to campout in the middle of nowhere!!! Dave did great with this hike, averaging over 2 miles an hour.

I really love the sierras...they are just so amazing. Now this is the part where I would normally share some photos since I hike with my XT...but guess what...I left all my memory cards sitting on the computer desk! So I have absolutely no photos. I was quite bummed. But there will be more hikes later in the year.

The campground was interesting...lots of mosquitos at around 6pm - 8pm..and we forgot the bug spray. We camped at 10,000 feet...so it was quite cold at night. We lived by the campfire once teh sun started to go down.

No comments: