Monday, February 25, 2008

Crash Flash

This weekend I had the opportunity to take a workshop in Venice Beach. It was all about using your flash. It was basically an 8 hour class split into 2 days. They even gave us time to shoot and practice. Now I'm more of a photojournalistic style photographer and don't get to much into umbrellas and all of that. But it was good to learn how to do some of that. The best thing was understanding flash as the Main Source and Flash as Fill Flash a lot better. I now know what I was doing wrong before and now I can fix all of that with a little practice. I'm soooo excited to go out and shoot more! I took some sample photos of Dave as my assignment before going to class on Sunday. Here's a few samples of what I took. I put Dave in our doorway (since it was pretty wet out) with him very backlit and exposed and shot in manual. Not Bad! I didn't put the diffuser on, but I will from now on. What a difference those things make!

Doesn't he look sleepy!

This class really showed me how quickly I pick things up when it comes to photography. It's almost like once its said it sticks! I'm definately a quick learner and now I want to go to more workshops and classes. I can't wait to go to WPPI conference next year. I just wish I could go this year. I may try and travel up to Seattle, WA for a weekend workshop this summer.

2 comments:

Mirdonamy said...

I love diffusers! I use my flash softbox a lot! I don't do a wedding without one!

I really wish I could afford to go to classes and workshops. You can learn so much! Soon, you're going to have to start teaching me!

Michele Schanker said...

Yeah I've totally learned the importance of the diffuser!

I've been lucky lately. We've had some money saved up, hence the increase of equipment and workshops. I'm really hoping to go to a weekend long workshop this summer. We'll see...they can be pretty pricey. I have decided I am going to WPPI next year in Vegas...wanna come? :)