Monday, February 11, 2008

Skiing in SLC Rocks!

The annual Salt Lake City trip rocked, as always! It's just so amazing I mean where else can you stay in a city and have the convenience of 10 or more ski resorts within a half hour drive!

Recap and review of the trip:

We stayed at the Homewood Suites in Downtown. Awesome! This hotel was pretty modern, flat screen tvs, nice bed, nice pillows, and the rooms are basically layed out like apartments. The hot breakfast was decent. Although I think I liked last year's breakfast at the Residence inn better. The location was great. About two blocks from the Gateway Center and 3 blocks from PF Changs, Bucca De Pepo, and Squatters.

The first day we skied at Deer Valley. Well, I certainly can't complain. Great snow and only skiers! Snowboarders are not allowed here. So its nice for us skiers. The resort had lots of varying terrain. So lots of greens, blues, and blacks. Which worked out well for when Dave wanted something a bit easier while I challenged myself on the moguls. The opening time was 9am, which was nice because we didn't have to get up insanely early for first tracks.

The second day we skied at Snowbird. Now this place is more challenging. Not for beginners! When they say its for intermediate and expert skiers, they mean it. Lots of blue and blacks so we pushed ourselves the entire day. Lots of great powder especially in Mineral Basin. The cool part about this place is there is a 600 foot tunnel that can take you to the backside (Mineral Basin). There were some really big moguls to on some of the trails. I really liked it here, but I love to challenge myself. The day we were here we had great weather. When we went up to the top, you could see the mountains and SLC. What a view.

Lately I've been pushing myself a lot harder with skiing. Doing more moguls, etc.. So it seems that I have a trend now of falling down! I used to never fall. I had some nasty ones this trip. At Deer Valley I was going down a diamond and somehow caught powder and fell and slide a ways down the hill with my skis still attached. How embarrassing. But I popped back up and went on my merry way. Then at Snowbird Dave and I were going down a mogul run and again I caught powder. Although this time I face planted in the snow and my ski became buried while still attached to my boot! Dave apparently yelled "women down". I think he loves/gets a kick out of watching me fall because for so long I would never fall. (he missed the fall at Deer Valley).

While in SLC I just couldn't miss the UMD Terps game. So we immediately headed to a sports bar in the gateway center. The people there were great. They put us at a table right in front of a tv and turned on the MD game. Sweet! Oh and yeah, MD won again. Beating NC State by 14 points. Next is Duke this Wednesday.

Oh an I totally have to give some props to Dave for his awesome Mogul skiing this weekend. I told him he can no longer tell me that he can't ski moguls! He has improved so much, and I am so proud of him. It's been great watching him go from a total non skier (4 years ago) to skiing black diamonds filled with moguls.

So the trip was great. Great weather, great snow, and lots of fun! Can't wait to do it again next year.

I'll leave you with a view from our hotel room. I tried my best at long shutter speeds, without my tripod!

And one of the mountains near Snowbird.

No comments: